Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

2024-25 Catalog 
    May 29, 2024  
2024-25 Catalog

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office

The PCC Financial Aid Office administers a comprehensive program of grants, scholarships and loans. Grants and loans are based on need. Scholarships are based mainly on academic ability and, in some cases, need. Work-study opportunities are based primarily on need.

To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at If you have questions about financial aid guidelines and policies, contact the PCC Financial Aid Office or call 719.549.3200.

Priority Deadlines for Applications

Complete the FAFSA application as early as possible. Our awards are subject to the availability of funds. We give top priority to full-time students who show exceptional financial need and who submit completed applications by the following dates:

  Fall Semester March 15
  Spring and Summer Semesters November 1

Though we do accept applications later than these dates, we give priority to those who meet these deadlines.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To be eligible for financial aid, you must

  • be a U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be accepted to PCC as a degree-seeking (Classified) student
  • be enrolled in an eligible program at least half time (six credit hours) for most Federal and State aid programs and full time (12 or more credit hours) for most scholarships
  • submit a complete financial aid file that includes all required supporting documents
    • verification worksheets, tax transcripts from the IRS, W2s, social security cards, copies of high school diploma, or GED, etc.
  • make satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate and be within the regulatory limitations of maximum attempted credits, and
  • clearly establish financial need for need-based financial assistance

You are not eligible for financial aid if you

  • are concurrently enrolled in high school, or
  • owe a refund on a federal grant, or
  • are in default on a federal student loan, or
  • are in a certificate program which is less than 16 credit hours, or
  • have already earned a bachelor’s degree (unless you are applying for student loans).

The Financial Aid Office will make every effort to keep you informed about the status of your application; however, you should contact the office to find out what information we might still need to complete your file.

Types of Awards


Federal Pell Grant
This is the basic award to which other federal and non-federal sources may be added. The amount of the Pell Grant depends on your financial need, the cost of education, and the amount of time you will be enrolled during the school year. As with all grants, you do not have to pay back a Pell Grant provided you do not withdraw during a semester.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
This grant provides additional financial assistance to exceptionally needy undergraduate students who are also Pell Grant recipients.

Colorado Student Grant (CSG)
This grant provides financial assistance to Colorado residents who otherwise would be unable to pursue postsecondary education. Priority for these funds goes to residents of Colorado who are eligible for a Pell Grant.

Work Study

The College Work Study Program (CWSP) provides employment for full- and part-time students for 10 to 20 hours of work per week. Most work study funds go to students who demonstrate financial need, with remaining funds available to employ other students in areas related to their academic and career goals. Funds are provided by the Federal Work Study Program and by the Colorado General Assembly.


The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program provides low-interest loans to qualified students to help meet educational expenses. Loans are secured from and are insured by the Federal government. If you are a first-time borrower, you must complete Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling to qualify for this loan. Student loans are a supplement to other federal, state, institutional and private student financial aid programs and you must pay them back.


Scholarship funds are available from a variety of sources: the State of Colorado, the PCC Foundation, corporations, businesses, foundations, individuals, civic organizations, service clubs and similar organizations. We award scholarships based on academic ability, special educational interests, talent and, in some cases, need. Each scholarship has its own guidelines for application and selection; contact the PCC Financial Aid Office to obtain applications for the scholarships you might qualify for at the following site.

Return of Federal Title IV Financial Aid Funds

If you withdraw, officially or unofficially, during a semester in which you are receiving federal Title IV Financial Aid funds, you must return a portion of the funds. We use the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation to determine how much you owe. This calculation is based on how much of the semester you complete. If you complete more than 60 percent of the semester, you have earned all of your award and owe nothing to the College. If you complete 60 percent or less of the semester, you must return the unearned funds to the college. You also must pay any institutional charges that result when we return funds to the federal government. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Financial Aid Warning, Probation and Ineligibility

The Financial Aid Office monitors your academic progress if you are a recipient of federal, state or institutional financial aid. We monitor progress in three areas:

  • Grade point average (GPA) – you must attain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Completion rate – you must complete 67 percent of all cumulative attempted credits.
  • Maximum time frame – you must complete your degree/certificate by the time you have attempted 150 percent of the credit hours required in your program.

If you do not attain the minimum grade point average or completion rate, we will place you on warning or ineligibility. If you have 0 percent completion within a semester, you will become ineligible. If you are on financial aid warning or probation, you may continue to receive financial aid subject to approval. If you are on financial aid ineligibility, you are no longer eligible for financial aid.

Note: Financial aid warning/probation/ineligibility is different than academic probation/suspension. Please see the Academic Regulations section of this catalog for information about academic probation/suspension.

Contact the PCC Financial Aid Office for more information.

Other Benefit Programs

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

With certain exceptions, PCC courses are approved for the training of veterans and eligible dependents. If you plan to use VA educational benefits, contact the Admissions staff in the Go!Zone at the Pueblo Campus or call 719.549.3013 immediately after deciding to attend PCC. You can expect a six- to eight-week VA processing time for your application.

You are responsible for payment of book costs whether or not your VA educational benefit payments have started.

It is your responsibility to notify the Admissions staff in the Go!Zone of any address and/or enrollment changes such as course adds and drops, change of major, other schools attended and any other information related to your academic standing. The Military Benefits tab in your MyPCC Portal is the preferred way to notify Admissions staff of enrollment status. Contact 719.549.3013 for questions.

Veterans Attendance and Satisfactory Progress

If you do not attend regularly or make satisfactory, systematic progress toward an educational objective, you will have to repay the VA. If you are placed on academic suspension, the VA will discontinue your benefits for the duration of the suspension.

The school maintains a written record of the previous education and training of the veteran or eligible person and clearly indicates that appropriate credit has been given for previous education and training, with the training period shortened proportionately, and the veteran or eligible person and the Department of Veterans Affairs so notified.

VA students’ records must be kept for 3 years following the ending date of the last period certified to VA. Referenced law:  Title 38 CFR 21.4209(f))

Western Undergraduate Exchange

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program allowing students in 14 participating states to enroll in designated two-year institutions at a special, reduced tuition rate applicable only to WUE students. PCC or CCC Online tuition rates are not reduced. Colorado is a WUE participating state. Entry is allowed to approved certificate and degree seeking students. Undeclared students are not WUE eligible. WUE students are not eligible for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend.

Residents of the following states should contact the Admissions Office for further details: Alaska, Arizona, California, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.