Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

2024-25 Catalog 
    May 29, 2024  
2024-25 Catalog

Applying for Admission

Admissions & Records


You will interact with the Admissions & Records Office from the time you apply until you graduate.

We provide the following services:

  • Receive and process all admissions applications and supporting documents, to include legal name changes
  • Administer all admissions policies
  • Coordinate registration
  • Process course adds, drops and withdrawals
  • Maintain all student academic records, process all requests for transcripts and verify enrollment
  • Receive and process Graduation Planning sheets and mail diplomas to graduates
  • Provide residency requirements and petitions, student Privacy Act information and access to PCC catalogs and current class scheduling
  • Provide information on general enrollment procedures
  • Administer Veterans Assistance (VA) services related to student enrollment and VA educational benefits at PCC
  • Evaluate credits for transfer students, including previous assessment test scores (ACT, SAT, etc.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your Student Records

You are responsible for verifying your records and ensuring that they are accurate and up to date. PCC cannot be held responsible for notifying you in a timely manner if your address and/or telephone number are incorrect. You can update your address and phone information by accessing your myPCC Portal account on the PCC home page using your student ID number and your password.

You will be required to show valid identity documentation when requesting access to your student records: Colorado driver’s license, Colorado identification card, valid U.S. passport, out-of-state driver’s license, foreign passport w/photo, military ID/common access card, Certificate of Naturalization w/photo, valid I-551, valid EAH/temporary resident, Refugee/Asylee I-94 w/photo, BIA identification card w/photo or VA card w/photo.

Admission Policy

PCC has an open-door admission policy. This means there are no admission requirements if you are 17 years of age or older. However, admission to PCC does not guarantee that you can enroll in certain courses or programs that may have their own specific admission requirements.

You may apply online (click the Apply Online link under the Academics tab), in person at any PCC registration station. The address of the main campus is:

Admissions Office
Pueblo Community College
900 W. Orman Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81004

Student Classification

PCC uses several means of classifying students, depending on the purpose of the classification.

  1. Unclassified/Classified Status

    When you apply for admission, we classify you in one of two ways:

    Unclassified – Unclassified students are not eligible for financial aid (including some scholarships).

    Classified – Classified students may be eligible for financial aid. Note: All financial aid recipients MUST be Classified.

    To become Classified, you must:
    • Be admitted to PCC,
    • Take the Accuplacer basic skills test or be exempted from testing; and
    • Officially declare a major in an approved associate degree or certificate program. To declare a major, complete the Change of Program form located on your Student tab in the myPCC Portal.

      Effective July 1, 2011, concurrently enrolled postsecondary students may enroll as regular students at PCC. Although concurrently enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid, they are eligible to declare a program of study and pursue a certificate or degree.
  2. Class Level
    Your class level is based on the number of college-level semester credit hours you have earned. PCC has two class levels:
    1. Freshman – fewer than 30 hours
    2. Sophomore – 30 or more hours
    3. For financial aid purposes, students in the Bachelor degree programs may be classified at the Junior level.
  3. Part-time/Full-time/Auditor Status

    Part-time student
    You are a part-time student if you are carrying fewer than 12 credits per semester.

    Full-time student
    You are a full-time student if you are carrying 12 or more credits per semester.

    When you audit a course, you enroll in a course for which you receive no formal transcript grade. As an auditor, you take no examinations and receive no credit. The symbol “AU” is recorded on your transcript in place of a grade. If you wish to audit a course, you must indicate your intent to audit at registration or before the refund/census period ends. Audited courses are not eligible for the COF stipend or financial aid; if you are a veteran, you will not receive veteran’s benefits for audited classes. Therefore, you are responsible for the full in- or out-of-state tuition for any courses that you audit.

    You must tell your instructor that you are auditing a course.

Change/Declaration of Degree or Major

You may declare or change your degree or major online by completing the change of program form on your Student tab on the myPCC Portal. If you wish to change your major to a health or public safety program or cosmetology, you must be accepted into the program by the department chair. Changing a declared degree or major may affect your financial aid eligibility. You should consult with an academic advisor prior to making any changes. Changes of major will be processed in the term in in which they are received until full term census changes received after census will take effect the following term. Students may declare a program of study from which they have previously graduated if at least 25% of the classes in the program have changed since graduation, or an updated diploma and skill set is required for employment or State licensure requirements.

High School Students

Concurrent Enrollment Programs

Pueblo Community College offers full-time and part-time concurrent enrollment options, which count both for high school and college credit. Students may take courses to complete mini-certificates, certificates, associate degrees or course requirements that transfer to a four-year university. There are hundreds of courses from which high school students may choose in academic or vocational and technical areas.

Students interested in attending Pueblo Community College while still in high school must demonstrate their ability to be successful in each course they take by meeting minimum requirements. First, students must have a qualifying ACT, SAT or Accuplacer. Second, students must meet the prerequisites for all courses they wish to take. Finally, students must meet the standards of the program to which they are applying as determined by their school district (i.e., GPA, class standing).

High school students interested in a Concurrent Enrollment Program through Pueblo Community College should contact their high school counselor or Concurrent Enrollment Department, call 719.549.3388, or email: for information, deadlines, and application packets.

Effective July 1, 2011, concurrently enrolled postsecondary students may enroll as regular students at PCC. Although concurrently enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid, they are eligible to declare a program of study and pursue a certificate or degree.

Re-admission to PCC

If you are a former PCC student who has not attended PCC for one year or more, you must complete a new application for admission with your current address, phone number, and residency information.

Transfer Applicants

If you have attended another college or university and are seeking admission to PCC for the first time, you are considered a Transfer Applicant. If you are seeking classified status and wish to transfer credit from your previous college, you must ask that college to mail your official transcripts to this address:

Records Office
Pueblo Community College
900 W. Orman Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81004
888.642.6017 – Ext. 3017

Hand-delivered transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts must be received as soon as possible and within your first term of enrollment.

For more information about transferring from another institution, see the Transferring Credits  section of this catalog.

International Student Applicants

An international student is one who attends PCC on a nonimmigrant student visa (usually an F, J or M nonimmigrant visa). Legally admitted immigrants and refugees are not considered international students. Generally, the policies described in this catalog apply to international students as well as domestic students. However, by federal law, some special policies apply only to international students.

Applying for Admission as an International Student

We will consider your application only if you submit all documents by the following deadline dates:

  • First Monday in April for Fall semester
  • First Monday in November for Spring and Summer semester

If you are a resident of another country, you must submit the following documents to apply for admission:

  • An application for admission. You can get an application from this address:

Admissions Office
Pueblo Community College
900 W. Orman Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81004

  • Two official transcripts of all work completed in high school, college or their equivalent. One transcript must be in your native language and the other must be in English. The transcripts must contain the following items:
    • Courses taken
    • Grades earned
    • Length of classes
    • Length of school term

In addition, please make sure that the issuing institution includes an explanation of all terminology that appears in your transcript. Your former schools or colleges must send all transcripts directly to the Admissions Office at the above address. We do not accept hand-delivered transcripts. All transcripts must bear the official seal of the issuing institution.

  • A financial statement/affidavit with support describing all resources provided for you while you are in the United States. A certified bank statement in the name of the sponsor, issued from the sponsor’s bank and dated within the last six (6) months, must be provided for each source of funding. You cannot register without this statement. PCC has no institutional funds to support international students. You must be able to meet all financial obligations while attending PCC.
  • Verification of health insurance coverage. This insurance is mandatory. You may obtain it through PCC or from your home country. You are required to submit verification of current insurance coverage to the Admissions & Records Office prior to the start of classes.
  • English Placement Exam scores. If you are a first-time freshman international student and you are from a country where English is not the only native language, you must meet one of these requirements:
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL):  A total minimum score on the Internet Based Test of (TOEFL;Bt) 45-46.  To register for the TOEFL, write to the Publications Office, P.O. Box 6154, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA; or check with the U.S. Embassy or the U.S. Information Service Center for TOEFL information.
    • The TOEFL code number for PCC is 4634. To have TOEFL scores sent directly to PCC, please enter 4634 on your answer sheets when you take the TOEFL examination. If you have already taken the test, enter 4634 on the Score Report Request Forms.
    • ELS Language Center: A score of 109.

If you are a transfer international student, you must meet one of the above English proficiency requirements and you must have an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above.

Note: When you submit a document to PCC, it becomes our property. We cannot return it to you. Therefore, please do not submit any document in its original form. Instead, submit an official or certified copy of the document. The official version is a copy of the original that has been notarized or certified by a recognized official source attesting that the document is a true copy of the original.

Other Requirements for International Students

  • Complete PCC assessment tests, new student orientation and advising before registering for classes. Your scores on the placement tests will determine which classes you take in English, mathematics, reading and computer literacy.
  • Pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration. International students on F-1 visas pay the same tuition and fees as non-resident students.
  • Comply with immigration requirements regarding the number of credit hours you take while attending PCC. U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement regulations require that international students on F-1 visas carry and complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and that they complete their educational objectives within a reasonable period of time. If you do not comply with ICE Regulations, we will report your status to ICE.
  • Only degrees are approved for international students, certificates are not approved.
  • Comply with the minimum grade point average requirements found under Academic Probation and Suspension in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.

Limited-Entry Programs

If you want to apply for a limited-entry program, you must apply to the program itself (in addition to applying for admission to the college).

The following programs are limited entry:

Limited Entry Programs Limited Entry Programs
Automotive Cosmetology
Dental Hygiene – AAS & BAS Emergency Medical Services
Fire Science Academy Law Enforcement Academy
Medical Assistant Medical Sonography
Nursing Nursing Aid
Occupational Therapy Assistant Pharmacy Technician
Physical Therapist Assistant Phlebotomy
Psychiatric Technician Radiologic Technology
Respiratory Care Practitioner Surgical Technology

These programs have specific entrance requirements. You may not enroll in limited-entry program courses until you are formally accepted into the program.

Before you are admitted to a limited-entry program, you must complete a criminal background check and a drug screen. Certain felonies or misdemeanors will preclude you from entering a limited-entry program. For further information, including specific timelines for completion of the background check and drug screen, contact your program advisor.

Upon admission to a health professions limited-entry program, the following additional requirements must be completed:

  • Submission of a health certification form documenting current immunizations, TB skin test, CPR training and receipt of Essential Job Functions
  • Some program/clinical sites will require a flu and varicella (chickenpox) vaccine
  • Purchase of liability insurance
  • Purchase of supplies, equipment and/or uniforms specific to program (contact department for detailed information)

It is your responsibility to meet the medical requirements of the program you wish to enter. If you are allergic or sensitive to latex, be aware that in Health and Public Safety programs, latex products are used extensively during training and in the workplace. If you have an allergy or sensitivity, we will ask you to sign a release and you may have to observe special precautions.

Note: Some clinical courses may not be available when you want to take them because of changes occurring in the health care industry. This could extend the length of your program.

Residency Classification

When you are admitted or readmitted to PCC, we classify you as either a resident or a non-resident of Colorado for tuition purposes, according to the provisions of Title 23, Article 7, Colorado Revised Statutes, as amended. You have the right to challenge your tuition classification by the census date of each semester. To do so, obtain a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification from the Admissions Office and complete and return the petition with the required documentation to the Admissions Office. We will use the documents supplied by you, along with the answers to the residency questions on the petition, to make a final residency decision. Students who are under the age of 23 and unmarried are classified according to their parents’ residency status. Contact Admissions for additional information.

To be classified as a resident, you must meet two tests of domicile:

  1. Presence: You must have been physically domiciled in Colorado for twelve (12) continuous months prior to the first day of classes.
  2. Intent: You must document that Colorado is your permanent state of residence.

It is not enough to document presence but not intent. Furthermore, you cannot rely on just one document to prove intent. Examples of the kinds of documents you might submit are listed in the following table.

Criteria for Residency Example of Document
Employment in Colorado Pay stub
Payment of Colorado state income tax Colorado state tax return
Ownership of residential real estate in Colorado Real estate tax bill
Primary residence in Colorado Colorado state tax return
Graduation from a Colorado high school High school diploma or transcript
Registration of motor vehicle in Colorado Car registration
Acceptance of future employment in Colorado Letter from your future Colorado employer offering you a job
Voter registration Mailing you received from the County Clerk’s Office prior to the last election or verification from the County Clerk’s Office
Possession of Colorado driver’s license Copy of your Colorado driver’s license or ID card

Deadline: Submit your petition with all supporting documents by the deadline date published on the myPCC Portal for the intended term. We will not review late petitions, those missing documentation and information, or those without a notarized signature.

New Mexico Reciprocity (NMR) Program

Program allowing New Mexico residents to attend PCC at a reduced tuition rate. Students must complete the New Mexico Reciprocity Agreement and provide evidence of residency in New Mexico. While using this agreement, time spent in Colorado cannot be applied towards the 12 month physical presence requirement to become a Colorado resident.

Student must complete the New Mexico Reciprocity Application and provide evidence of their residency from New Mexico.

Approved applications for NMR will be active for one academic year; Summer, Fall, and Spring terms. A new application must be completed at the start of each academic year, Summer semester.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program is a ‘guest pass’ for students who are maintaining their residency in another state and do not intend to establish Colorado Residency. The WUE program is a program allowing students in 14 participating states to enroll in designated two-year institutions at a special, reduced tuition rate application only to WUE students. Residents of the following states are eligible for the program: Alaska, Arizona, California, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. While using this agreement, time spent in Colorado cannot be applied towards the 12 month physical presence requirement to become a Colorado resident.

Student must complete the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program and provide evidence of their residency from their participating state.

Approved applications for WUE will be active for one academic year; Summer, Fall, and Spring terms. A new application must be completed at the start of each academic year, Summer semester.

Selective Service Registration Requirements

Before enrolling at PCC, male students must truthfully declare their selective service registration status on the Application for Admission. You may not enroll if you provide no information or false information. If your status changes in any way, you must notify the Admissions & Records Office. You may register for Selective Service or obtain proof of registration by using the website. Contact the Admissions Office for further information concerning Selective Service requirements.

First-Year Experience Requirement

In accordance with the CDHE policy of enrolling students into credit-bearing, college-level courses and to support the college’s goals of persistence, retention, and graduation, effective Fall 2018, all Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Pre-Nursing Associate of General Studies, and Associate of General Studies degrees without designation offered at Pueblo Community College will include AAA 1009  as a first-year-experience requirement.

Note that:

  • The AAA 1009  First Year Experience course requirement applies to AA, AS, AGS degrees without designation, and the Pre-Nursing AGS degree (but excludes all other Pre-Health AGS programs)
  • For new incoming students, AAA 1009  is required within the first 15 credits (i.e.: in the first year)
  • The AAA 1009  First Year Experience course is also strongly recommended for all incoming transfer students, returning students, and students pursuing other programs.