Oct 02, 2023
See list of Department Chairs on the Personnel page.
The Associate of Science (AS) Degree with Designation in Geology prepares the student to transfer as a junior to a four-year institution in Colorado in order to pursue a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Geology or Earth Sciences. Students who opt for the Bachelor of Science in Geology can choose to work in various occupational fields of science or engineering. Once a BS is completed, many students will pursue a higher or graduate degree in Geology.
This program introduces the student to the discipline of Geology includes the course work to meet general education requirements that are common to all Colorado four-year institutions, as well a specific courses in various subfields of Geology. Upon transfer, students from Pueblo Community College who have earned the Associate of Science (AS) Degree with Designation in Geology will be ready to complete the last half of a BS in Geology at a four-year institution.
Refer to the course requirements listed below. Some courses may have prerequisites of lower level classes or assessment scores. Refer to the course descriptions for these prerequisites.
General Education Core Requirements (36 Credits)
Written Communication (6 Credits)
Natural and Physical Sciences (10 Credits)
Arts and Humanities (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Arts and Humanities courses from any category (GT-AH1, GT-AH2, GT-AH3, GT-AH4) *
Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Social and Behavioral courses from any category (GT-SS1, GT-SS2, GT-SS3) *
History (3 Credits)
- Select one GT Pathways History Course (GT-HI1) *
Additional Required Science and Mathematics Courses (23 Credits)
Elective (1 Credit)
Determined by transferring institution
Note: In addition to meeting the requirements listed here, contact the department at the school to which you want to transfer for program-specific information.
This degree transfers to the following Colorado Public Four-Year institutions of higher education:
- Adams State University (B.A./B.S. Earth Sciences, Geology emphasis)
- Colorado Mesa University (B.S. Geosciences, Geology concentration)
- Colorado State University-Ft. Collins (B.S. Geology, Geology concentration)
- Fort Lewis College (B.S. Geology, Geology option)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (B.A. Geology)
- University of Northern Colorado (B.S. Earth Sciences, Geology emphasis)
- Western State Colorado University (B.A. Geology, Geology emphasis)