Oct 02, 2023
See list of Department Chairs on the Personnel page.
The Associate of Arts (AA) Degree with Designation in Communication prepares the student to transfer as a junior to a four-year institution in Colorado in order to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Communication. Students who opt for the Bachelor of Arts in Communication can choose to work in several occupational fields, including business, advertising, education, media, journalism or public relations. Once a BA is completed, students may pursue a higher or graduate degree in Communication, if interested.
This program introduces the student to the discipline of Communication and includes the course work to meet general education requirements that are common to all Colorado four-year institutions, as well a specific courses in various subfields of Communication. Upon transfer, students from Pueblo Community College who have earned the Associate of Arts (AA) Degree with Designation in Communication will be ready to complete the last half of a BA in Communication at a four-year institution.
Refer to the course requirements listed below. Some courses may have prerequisites of lower level classes or assessment scores. Refer to the course descriptions for these prerequisites.
General Education Core Requirements (31 Credits)
(Written) Communication (6 Credits)
Mathematics (3 Credits)
- Select one GT Pathways Mathematics course (GTMA1) *, prefer MAT 1240 : Mathematics for the Liberal Arts
Natural and Physical Sciences (7 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Natural and Physical Sciences courses (GT-SC1, GT-SC2) *. At least one of these courses must include a laboratory component (GT-SC1) *
Arts and Humanities (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Arts and Humanities courses from any category (GT-AH1, GT-AH2, GT-AH3, GT-AH4) *
Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 Credits)
History (3 Credits)
- Select one GT Pathways History Course (GT-HI1) *
Additional Required Communication Courses (18 Credits)
Select two GT Pathways courses from either: (6 Credits)
- History (GT-HI1) *, or Social and Behavioral Sciences (GT-SS1, GT-SS2, or GT-SS3) *
Electives (11 Credits)
Determined by transferring institution
This degree transfers to the following Colorado Public Four-Year institutions of higher education:
- Colorado State University-Ft. Collins (B.A. Communication Studies)
- Colorado State University-Global Campus (B.S. Communication)
- Metropolitan State University of Denver (B.A. Speech Communication, Organizational Communication emphasis)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (B.A. Communication)
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (B.A.
- Communication, General Communication Studies emphasis)
- University of Colorado, Denver (B.A. Communication)
- University of Northern Colorado (B.A. Communication Studies)
- Western State Colorado University (B.A. Communication Arts, Communication emphasis)