Jun 26, 2022
See list of Department Chairs on the Personnel page.
The Associate of Science (AS) Degree with Designation in Biology prepares the student to transfer as a junior to a four-year institution in Colorado in order to pursue a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Biology. Students who opt for the Bachelor of Science in Biology can choose to work in numerous occupational fields of science or medicine. Once a BS is completed, many students will pursue a higher or graduate degree in Biology.
This program introduces the student to the discipline of Biology includes the course work to meet general education requirements that are common to all Colorado four-year institutions, as well a specific courses in various subfields of Biology. Upon transfer, students from Pueblo Community College who have earned the Associate of Science (AS) Degree with Designation in Biology will be ready to complete the last half of a BS in Biology at a four-year institution.
Refer to the course descriptions listed below. Some courses may have prerequisites of lower level classes or assessment scores. Refer to the course descriptions for these prerequisites.
General Education Core Requirements (36 Credits)
Written Communication (6 Credits)
Natural and Physical Sciences (10 Credits)
Arts and Humanities (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Arts and Humanities courses from any category (GT-AH1, GT-AH2, GT-AH3, GT- AH4) *
Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Social and Behavioral courses from any category (GT-SS1, GT-SS2, GT-SS3) *
History (3 Credits)
- Select one GT Pathways History Course (GT-HI1) *
Additional Required Science Courses (20 Credits)
Note: If these credits are not required for the major at a receiving 4-year institution, they will be applied to the Bachelor’s degree as elective credit toward graduation. Please check with the receiving institution to determine in which way these courses will be applied
Electives (4 Credits)
Determined by transferring institution
This degree transfers to the following Colorado Public Four-Year institutions of higher education:
- Adams State University (B.S. Biology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Organismal Biology, and Wildlife Biology emphasis)
- Colorado Mesa University (B.S. Biological Sciences, Biology concentration)
- Colorado State University-Ft. Collins (B.S. Biological Sciences)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (B.S. Biology)
- Fort Lewis College (B.S. Biology, General Biology option)
- Metropolitan State University of Denver (B.S. Biology)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (B.A. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology)
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (B.S. Biology)
- University of Colorado, Denver (B.S. Biology)
- University of Northern Colorado (B.S. Biological Sciences, Cell and Molecular Biology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Pre-Health and Biomedical Sciences emphasis)
- Western State Colorado University (B.A. Biology, Cell Biology/Pre-medicine, Environmental Biology and Ecology, General Biology, Pre-allied Health emphasis)