Sep 27, 2020
Dustin Dunaway, Interim Department Chair
The Associate of Arts (AA) Degree with Designation in English prepares the student to transfer as a junior to a four-year institution in Colorado in order to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in English. Students who opt for the Bachelor of Arts in English can choose to work in a wide variety of occupational fields including teaching, journalism, law, publishing, medicine and the fine arts. Once a BA is completed, students may pursue a higher or graduate degree in English, if interested.
This program introduces the student to the discipline of English and includes the course work to meet general education requirements that are common to all Colorado four-year institutions. Upon transfer, students from Pueblo Community College who have earned the Associate of Arts (AA) Degree with Designation in English will be ready to complete the last half of a BA in English at a four-year institution.
Refer to the course requirements listed below. Some courses may have prerequisites of lower level classes or assessment scores. Refer to the course descriptions for these prerequisites.
General Education Core Requirements (34 Credits)
Written Communication (6 Credits)
Natural and Physical Sciences (7 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Natural and Physical Sciences courses (GT-SC1) *. At least one of these courses must include a laboratory component (GT-SC1) *.
Arts and Humanities (9 Credits)
Note: Courses from the Literature and Humanities category (GT-AH2) may not be used to meet this requirement.
- Select three GT Pathways Arts and Humanities courses
Social and Behavioral Sciences (6 Credits)
- Select two GT Pathways Social and Behavioral courses from any category (GT-SS1, GT-SS2, GT-SS3) *
History (3 Credits)
- Select one GT Pathways History Course (GT-HI1) *
Additional Required Courses (18 Credits)
Verbal Communication (3 Credits)
Select five GT Pathways Arts and Humanities Literature (LIT) courses within the GT-AH2 category (15 Credits)
Note: Students are required to take a total of five (5) LIT courses (15 credits), four (4) of which must be at the 200-level. Please consult with your receiving institution regarding best choices for literature courses.
Electives (8 Credits)
Determined by transferring institution.
This degree transfers to the following Colorado Public Four-Year institutions of higher education:
- Adams State University (B.A. English, Liberal Arts emphasis)
- Colorado Mesa University (B.A. English, Literature concentration)
- Colorado State University-Fort Collins (B.A. English)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (B.A. English)
- Ft. Lewis College (B.A. English, General Option)
- Metropolitan State University of Denver (B.A. English)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (B.A. English)
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (B.A. English)
- University of Colorado, Denver (B.A. English, Literature emphasis)
- University of Northern Colorado (B.A. English, Liberal Arts emphasis)
- Western State Colorado University (B.A. English)