PCC grants Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS), Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), Associate of General Studies (AGS) and Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees. PCC also grants Certificates of Completion (CERT).
PCC’s programs are approved by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE), which approves degrees, and by the Colorado Community College System (CCCS), which approves certificates. The PCC Curriculum and Academic Standards Committee reviews and approves new programs or changes to existing programs before they are forwarded to these agencies for approval.
Each program requires a major area of concentration comprising a defined sequence of courses. An associate degree requires a minimum of 60 semester hours and a certificate requires a minimum of two courses.
General education courses are a part of every degree program regardless of major; these courses impart common knowledge, intellectual concepts and attitudes that every educated person should possess.
The general education courses for the AA, AS, generalist AGS and AAS degrees are identified in the general education curriculum of each of those degrees. The AGS technical pre-professional transfer degrees in Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice and Mass Communications have particular general education requirements within each degree.
For AGS degrees, no designation of an emphasis area or concentration may appear on a transcript or diploma, other than “Liberal Studies.”
Gainful Employment Information
The US Department of Education requires disclosure of information for any financial aid eligible program that “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.”
• A Broadband (Cable, DSL, Fiber or LAN) connection at home is recommended (but not required) for optimal student experience. A broadband Internet connection with a connection speed of 1.5 MB/s or higher is recommended
• The use of satellite and cellular connections may result in slowness or errors (timeouts, access problems) when accessing the classroom and course materials.
• The use of public access computers and internet (for example, at libraries, public locations) may result in slowness or errors (timeouts or access problems) when accessing some classroom and course materials. Public access computers may not permit any access to certain course materials or systems due to security limitations.
• PCC provides free Internet access on campus to all PCC Students who bring their own computers on campus.
• Limited access to PCC computers is provided in some classrooms.
Every student is encouraged to bring a laptop computer (Windows or MAC Based) to campus for use in class.
- If at all possible use a computer that is less than 5 years old
- Intel Core i3 or AMD A8 or higher
- Processor speed: 2 GHz or faster
- RAM: 4 GB or greater
- Monitor and video card with 1024x768 or greater resolution.
- A web camera capable of video web conferencing
- Microphone and headset recommended but not required
*Program-specific requirements may be required for your degree program. Please see below.
Software and Applications
Other Required Software
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Microsoft Silverlight player
- Microsoft Office 2010 or higher (Microsoft Office 365 is provided to all current PCC students. Students can download the current version of office to a personal computer.)
- Local administrative privileges to the operating system may be required
- A current antivirus application that is updated and scanned regularly
Courses at Pueblo Community College may be enhanced with media and applications that can be downloaded to your mobile device. Additionally, your course work may involve using applications on these devices. Therefore, it is recommended that students own a mobile device so that they may take advantage of these offerings. These devices will provide access to enhanced learning opportunities, but should not replace more suitable devices for productivity. Devices that satisfy this recommendation are:
- Versions 2.2 or later
- 16GB or higher
- Current OS version or one version previous; minimum 16GB
- Original (first generation) and 3G/4G iPhones cannot be supported
- Current generation or one generation previous; 16GB or higher
- iPad Mini
- 16GB or higher
- Current generation or one generation previous
Students who choose to use systems or applications other than those listed do so knowing that faculty may be expecting and using the software listed above. It is and will be the student’s responsibility to create and distribute correspondence and shared files in a format that can be read by faculty and fellow classmates.
Technology changes rapidly – as a result, these recommendations are subject to change without notice. It is the student’s responsibility to continually check the PCC portal for changes to the above recommendations.
Program Specific Requirements
All students taking a math class are required to bring a computer to class meeting the above specifications.
Computer Aided Design Courses
Students are encouraged to have a MAC or PC meeting the specifications listed on the System requirements for AutoCAD 2015 web page.
Media Communications Courses
Students are encouraged to have a MAC or PC meeting the specifications listed on the Creative Cloud System requirements web page.
Nursing Programs on all Campuses
All students accepted into the Nursing Program are required to have a computer to bring to class that meets the above requirements. All Nursing Exams in all nursing courses will be administered electronically.
* Program specific requirements may be required for your degree program.